Friday 6 November 2009

Power v State

Revolt or Evolve. Got to thinking about decision-making and power and how those with power use it to retain it and defend off all else that threaten it.
The basic proposition in a free society is that we forego our individual freedoms to some large degree as long as me me and my networked me by and large get a fair deal and benefit, even to the point where I will give up my personal advancement or even my life.
Alternate is, if the deal is renegade on then I will fully exercise my free will irrespective of any collective good, anarchy.
There does seem now to be a dangerous third way, we just withdraw inwards, enjoy what we have got and blank out all events around us, until or unless our future hopes are threatened. Those with the control then are totally unrestrained.
The opposite to a free society is a subjugated people where they are instructed in what when and how to react and where punishment is meted out, without the need for justification, for any deemed infringements.
Our reality is that we do live in a subjugated society but one that it is shrouded in a mist of allusions to freedom, until of course a freedom is dared to be claimed. Over time this grey fog shifts from very free to very constrained, currently we are rushing towards a very constrained and subjugated society where voices for freedom and liberties are shouted down.
So we have to ask, the peoples voice, does it really matter or make any difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment