Monday 23 November 2009

More Balls for BBC

Whilst I have it to mind. The justification of the BBC licence fee is simply that it is an exemplar for the entertainment, enlightenment and enrichment capable of delivery by the broadcast media.
Though it has to ensure it reaches its target audiences the BBC should be above populism and viewer ratings. The commercial stations are much better placed to satisfy the ratings war, meet focus groups thoughts and be capable of demonstrating wide viewer acceptance.
The BBC should be about creatively reaching out, showing and exploiting what the new media outlets and dissemination might be capable of.
Unfortunately its seems the BBC is currently obsessed with navel gazing, suckering up to its paymaster and kowtowing to approving committee's positions of least objection.
What they have to get back to, to survive, are strong creative minds able to withstand flack but charged with a zeal to achieve and spread their vision of the new world we have sauntered into. Above all be prepared to address adults in adult terms on adult subjects, without dumbing down or deference to minority positions.

3 comments:

  1. Public television isn't exactly my forte, but I do know a bit about that of two countries - UK and France. Let me tell you this: the BBC probably has its shortcomings, and I'd imagine that paying the license fee and getting what you perceive as commercial TV is annoying. But believe me: the BBC produces documentaries that my country would kill for; World Service is actually as close as you can get to what it's called; and the bottom line is I think it's all pretty savvy managed - keeping viewers hooked (which you might hope it could avoid being concerned about) while actually putting some genuine quality TV material out there. There's probably still quite a lot to bitch about, but I really think Brits are better off in this particular respect than we Froggies are and by the looks of it ever will be.
    On a completely different subject: you are the very first person I have Never met who has commented (and follows) my blog, and, well: thanks!! That really is quite a thrill. I haven't entirely figured out how fluent you are in French, yet: one of your comments seemed to imply you weren't, but then again - you only commented on rather long French ones, so I'm a bit confused. But rest assured that knowing that someone out there reads what I write would be motivation enough to increase the number of Anglophone posts!
    And thanks, too, for your own blog: I'm half British, and getting an unapologetically partial insider's perspective on what's going on out there is great. Internet in Afghanistan is pretty horrible, but I promise I'll try to read your posts whenever I have a chance. Keep it up!
    All the best,
    Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise, thanks!
    French, nil so have to rely on autoTranslate which is pretty hilarious or your French is anarchic?
    Part of the reason for blogging is to discover how far out on a limb I really am or whether I am that partial insiders perspective remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are of course right, familarity does breed contempt. However fat corporations grow complacent and these are very fast changing times with interactive media. Not only is the BBC complacent but has got itself into a defensive, apologetic mode looking to please the consensus. We are in real danger that the quality bar set high by the BBC will be lost as new commercial outlets rise to the challenges that the BBC fails to dynamically address.
    We may well end up with a united Europe at least as far as TV standards!

    ReplyDelete