Thursday 25 November 2010

Conundrum

As a government initiative, I, like most men over the age of 60, have been prescribed Simvastatins to take for the rest of my life inorder to reduce the levels of the 'wrong' cholesterol and thus reduce the risk of heart attack or a stroke. After considering a number of side issues which are not relevant here and inview of my position, see philosophy of death, it will come as no surprise that I have stopped taking them.

As the official health policy is to safeguard the health of all males over the age of sixty by reducing their risks of heart attack or stroke, by this action, I am now acting and choosing to live a style of life contrary to good practice and advice. I therefore, following on from my position on the allocation of resources, see An aside - Born Equal, have put myself where the care resources allocated to me, have to be scaled back and reduced below my otherwise full entitlement. I have become a victim of my own policies. Fair do's, my Advance Directive excludes expensive resuscitation and recovery operations in the aftermath of a stroke or heart attack. That my care entitlement for other non-life threatening minor coughs and wheezes or even general support in the community might also have to be scaled back, becomes the price I have to pay to choose to live outside of society accepted norms. No matter how wrong I may think that particular norm is. You either choose to live with and go along with the grain or not. It not, then you just have to accept that one consequence is that you might end up as an outsider. Hey that's democracy at work.



No comments:

Post a Comment